Media Specialist, White Bear Lake Area High School, MN
David Olson began his career as a Media Specialist in 1991 at Benjamin Banneker School in Minneapolis. Since 1999 he has been the Media Specialist at White Bear Lake Area High School – South Campus in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. Before becoming a Media Specialist, he was the head of instructional design at Deluxe Corporation and a senior instructional designer at Andersen Consulting and Dun & Bradstreet Software.
- Videoconferences with the Smithsonian, Cleveland Museum of Art, McMillan Health Center, Minnesota Historical Society, Mount Washington, and NASA.
- National History Day Exhibits, documentaries, and research papers.
- Heroes of Our Heritage Project including video interviews with WWII veterans.
- Bear-In-Mind Book Club with student driven book selections.
- Co-Projects with high schools in Landskrona, Sweden.
- Young Master Programme on sustainability through the University of Lund, Sweden.
- Field trips to U of M Rochester, Century College, Minneapolis and St. Paul public libraries.
- Permanent Exhibit of NASA artifacts.
- Manitou Room – local & regional history reading room.
- E-portfolios for Health classes including a Hybrid Helper Web site.
Dave has written over twenty successful grants. He was a 2006 finalist for White Bear Lake teacher of the year. In 2010, he initiated the White Bear Reads – One community one Book program. This year, Dave is converting the current AV area into a new Makerspace sponsored by a grant from United Way and donations community businesses.