Home / Forums / Today’s Question / How do we best sell or promote the idea of transformation or the need for transformation to improve the educational process?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    #5253 Reply

Todd Burleson

Social Media is the secret sauce! I also believe that there needs to be a stronger relationship with higher education so that we can back up what we know to be true with data. It is easy to share mountains of qualitative data, but we need quantitative data as well.

#5520 Reply
    Stony Evans
    Stony Evans

We have to tell our stories from the library via social media and in person. It is also helpful to share best practices of other innovations teachers librarians to promote the need for transformation.

#5583 Reply

Dhaivyd Hilgendorf

Through professional learning networks, including the stakeholders shown in #6, above. Having open channels of communication is essential.

#5584 Reply

Lori Donovan

I’ve found that the best way to speak to those who make decisions about schools and school libraries is through stories. Whenever I speak to the School Board, I have pictures and stories of what great things are happening in our school libraries. Each month, I create a video in Animoto to share with the decision makers who can see very specifically how school libraries and librarians are impacting student learning.

#5585 Reply

Michelle Griffith

Social media is one way. Show what is happening and the impact in other places. Then communicate your plan for transformation of your space and showcasing how those transformations will have an even greater impact on your own schools. Involve your parents and volunteers in the decision making process. Allow them to have ownership and creating that partnership with them so that they are sure that you are working towards new educational opportunities for their children. Survey the learning community so that you are sure your end goal and theirs coexist.

#5586 Reply

Nancy Jo Lambert

I don’t think we need to sell it, I think we need to make believers. When I do presentations, I often feel like an evangelist who is there to convert the participants. Through showing what I do every day in the library: how I harness technology, how I collaborate with teachers to co-teach their curriculum, how I maximize the library schedule, how I use makerspaces, how my library programs work with actual students. Through the course of the presentation I convert them to the idea that they too can have this type of library if they are willing to be brave and be bold and put themselves out there and change. We have to show them what transformation looks like, and then we can make them believers!

#5587 Reply

Susan Grigsby

We have to be able to show that there is an urgent need to change the way we’re doing things. We are doing a decent job educating today’s students for today’s jobs. But if we continue to educate the factory model, then we will be doing a great disservice to this generation. We need to transform in order to create entrepreneurs and creative thinkers who are able to solve problems in novel ways and question the status quo. The world is shrinking and becoming more intimately connected – our students must be able to navigate effectively in that world. Libraries are the last bastion in most schools where students can think independently, explore their interests, and pursue their passions without regard to scripted curriculum. Those spaces need to be supported so that the tinkerers, the creative thinkers, and the “square pegs” are supported in those pursuits.

#5588 Reply

Chris Haeffner

I believe we need to tell our story in a variety of powerful ways. We need hard data that supports our claim that strong library programs impact student achievement. We need to showcase model programs that are enhancing student learning in new innovative and engaging ways. We need students and parent talking about how librarians and library programs make a positive difference in their lives. We need businesses and colleges to talk about the skills that students need as they enter the work world and how our library programs are essential in preparing them.

#5589 Reply

Carl Harvey

We have to create a shared vision within the school. It can’t just be the librarian pushing the agenda, but rather a school wide effort to implement and transform the school library with input from lots of stakeholders.

#5590 Reply

Rachel Langenhorst

Again, having a crystal clear vision for how and why these transformations would be made is key. Not only should we be able to sell the physical space, but we should be able to adequately provide solid evidence as to why this is academically a sound decision for our students. There is ample research to support digital learning environments. As always, invite stakeholders to take part in the planning from the onset.

#5591 Reply

Heather Lister

I personally think this needs to be a movement from the students. The students DESERVE this. They shouldn’t be subject to the libraries of the 1990s.

#5592 Reply

Jennifer Luetkemeyer

Research is critical. Opening a continuing dialog with LIS faculty is a good first step. If these ideas can be translated to academic research, which can in turn show their importance, then there will be data and good solid numbers available to make the case. Again, however, it is important to belong to and participate in library organizations. This issue is on the minds and agendas of most of the key players in these organizations, and they have resources at their disposal that do not often exist at the school level. If parents and teachers and students and administrators start seeing literature and news stories that promote the transformation of the school library, then that makes the job of the school librarian in promoting that transformation so much easier. But it starts with individuals making the choice to participate in the larger culture of the school librarian, networking and making connections that will facilitate the process.

#5593 Reply

Dawn Nelson

We don’t need to sell it – we just DO! Be active. Stay engaged. Connect with teachers. Read, listen, study, and learn. Then bring that to teachers. When they see what we have to offer for their students, they will be our biggest supporters.

#5594 Reply

Lynne Oakvik

We must start by being the change we want to see. Teacher librarians must lead horizontally and vertically in their schools, districts and states. We must take our message to school decision-makers — the principals. We must do a better job at presenting our message to principals –where principals are–principal meetings and national conferences to spotlight the value added benefit of strong, 21st Century school libraries staffed by highly qualified teacher librarians.

#5595 Reply

Carol Robinson

The future has changed. This is a fact. Therefore so must education. Without change there will be a death of sorts for our students and for us. That death will manifest itself in joblessness, homelessness, many in prison, illiteracy, hopelessness, suicide or depression, mental illness and the loss of the concept that our lives can be better than the previous generation let alone just as good. We will live in a dystopia-style society. They say necessity is the mother of invention, and we need to start getting inventive and change many things!

#5596 Reply

Barbara Robersheuser

The best method is to share stories of success with decision-makers in a district. One story from our district at a transformed middle school to I-Quad space came from a parent meeting. When asked in a casual way what a parent thought of the I-Quad they responded by saying, “my child told me they needed to get to school early so that he could go to the I-Quad. I asked, what’s an I-Quad? My child responded by saying, it’s the coolest place in the school! You can do so much there! Get homework finished, figure out a better way to do something with my chromebook and/or project!” To me, this is quite an accomplishment, especially from a middle school student.

#5597 Reply

Carol Tracy

I believe students in action are the best way to communicate an idea. Start with small steps, gather examples through photos, videos and interviews, and share the examples with the stakeholders. Many studies have been done on the need and value of flexible learning spaces. Sharing this information with stakeholders is imperative. Following what others have done successfully is another way to convey the vision – visit spaces that have the elements that are similar to what’s sought after in this transformation and find out what mistakes were made along the way.

#5598 Reply

John Carver

Use of Social Media. Create and share content.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: How do we best sell or promote the idea of transformation or the need for transformation to improve the educational process?
Your information: